We have great services and events scheduled this month!
In this issue:
- Dia De Los Muertos Event
- Veterans Day Events and Resources
- Turkey Giveaway
- Save the Date:
- Casework Highlight
- Time to Get Covered
- Assemblymember Miguel Santiago's 2018 Budget Victories
Assemblymember, 53rd District
Veterans Day Events and Resources
Veterans exemplify the best values of our country, and have earned respect and gratitude across the nation. Please join me on Sunday, November 11 (Veterans Day) to celebrate and honor our veterans.
10 a.m. - Boyle Heights Veterans Day
Los Cinco Puntos
3300 East Cesar E. Chavez Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90063
11 a.m. - Huntington Park Veterans Day
Huntington Park Community Center
6925 Salt Lake Ave.
Huntington Park, California 90255
There are also two programs that may be of interest to you or the honorably discharged veterans in your life.
Honorably discharged veterans can now sign up for tax-free, online shopping on select clothing, electronics, food and more. Since 1895, the Exchange's mission has been to support the men and women of the armed forces during military operations, humanitarian missions and other endeavors around the world.
In the past, only active-duty troops, members of the National Guard, reservists and their dependents, and military retirees and their dependents could use this money saving and convenient benefit.
Veteran designation is available to all honorably discharged military service members who need a California Driver’s License or California Identification Card. With this designation, veterans can easily prove their eligibility to businesses offering discounts without having to carry papers.
Applying for the veteran driver’s license and ID is easy:
- Locate your military discharge certificate (DD214). If you need help obtaining your military records, then contact your local County Veteran Service Office (CVSO).
- Visit your local CVSO with your DD214 for verification, and learn about the many improved and expanded benefits and services available to veterans, such as:
- Assistance with the transition to civilian life
- Other statewide benefits
- Visit or call the DMV (800) 777-0133 to make an appointment. Remember to bring your verified application form, and a $5 application fee.
Local County Veterans Services Office
Bob Hope Patriotic Hall
8 a.m. - 4 p.m. (Monday - Friday)
1816 S. Figueroa St.
Los Angeles, CA, 90015
Fax: (213) 744-4444
Save the Date – Toy Giveaway
Join us at our 2nd Annual Toy Giveaway! Every child in attendance will be able to take a photo with Santa Claus and receive a free toy (while supplies last).
Sunday, December 9
10 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Boys and Girls Club of Estrada Courts
3232 Estrada St.
Los Angeles, CA 90033
For more information, please call (213) 620-4646.
The California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) is an agency that protects people from unlawful discrimination in employment, housing and public accommodations (businesses), violence and human trafficking.
The state's various civil rights laws give DFEH these responsibilities:
- Engage in public outreach and provide training/ technical assistance to employers and housing providers.
- Investigate discrimination complaints/cases
- Facilitate mediation/resolution of civil rights disputes
- Prosecuting violations in civil court
If you have filed a case* with DFEH and would like to know the status or are interested in learning more information, please contact (213) 620-4646.
*All cases filed with the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing are confidential.
Time to Get Covered
Covered California’s competitive marketplace helps consumers choose a plan that works best for their health needs and their budget. Join the millions enrolled in Covered California by applying for coverage during the 2019 Open Enrollment period (ending January 15, 2019). For coverage that begins in January, you must enroll by December 15. Under the law, no one can be denied coverage for having a pre-existing condition.