Skip to main content

Student Debt Resources

Making the decision to pursue higher education is an important step that can open doors and provide opportunities. As you graduate, it is important to start preparing for repayment of the loans used to pay for your education. Every 28 seconds someone defaults on their student loans from the over $130 billion in total outstanding student debt in California. The average student debt balance is over $35,000, making it difficult for borrowers to buy homes, invest, and start businesses. The State of California and the Federal Government offer programs and assistance that can help you pay for your student loans.

Income-Driven Plans

An income-driven repayment plan sets your monthly student loan payment at an amount that is intended to be affordable based on your income and family size. The main plans are Income-Based Repayment (IBR), Pay As You Earn (PAYE), Revised Pay As You Earn (REPAYE), and Income-Contingent Repayment (ICR).


Deferment and Forbearance

Under certain circumstances, you may be eligible to temporarily stop making payments or reduce your monthly payment amount for a period of time.


Federal Loan Forgiveness

Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) is intended to encourage individuals to work in public service. The program allows public service employees to have certain federal student loans forgiven after 10 years of payment. Examples of “public service” include work in government, public schools, police and fire departments, public hospitals, non-profits, national service programs and more.



Eligible physicians may apply for a loan repayment up to $300,000 in exchange for a five-year service obligation. Eligible dentists may apply for either a loan repayment up to $300,000 in exchange for a five-year services obligation or a practice support grant up to $300,000 in exchange for a ten-year service obligation. All awardees are required to maintain a patient caseload of 30% or more Medi-Cal beneficiaries.


Closed School Discharge

You may be eligible for discharge of your federal student loan if your school closes while you’re enrolled or soon after you withdraw. You may even be eligible for a 100% discharge of your William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program loans, Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program loans, or Federal Perkins Loans if you were unable to complete your program because your school closed. To learn more about the application process for getting your loan discharged contact your loan servicer.



Office of Student Assistance and Relief (OSAR) provides individualized assistance to California residents selecting a private college. OSAR counsels California students as they navigate their financial and academic future following the closure or unlawful activities of the private college they attended.